Saturday, January 25, 2014

Food, Food, and more Food

Well, since I've been here (just over a week) we've already experienced quite a range of foods (including the New Year's party).

Our second day here Jo-Jo, one of our Native Coordinators (locals assigned to help our group survive in China), took us to a little dumpling shop just down the street from our apartment gate.

All of this for 4 yuan!

They are served with a peanut butter sauce for dipping. I'm personally not a big fan of peanut butter, and find it a little odd on my meat and noodles. It's not bad if you mix in some soy sauce and vinegar though. The dumplings themselves are delicious!

We've also gone to a little place we call Muslim Noodles- because it's ran by a Muslim couple and they serve amazing noodles!

Potatoes, bell pepper, meat and onions.
Only 14 yuan!

Muslim noodle shops can be found around China and they're soooo good! You can watch the chef make the noodles in the back of the shop and your plate is apparently all one noodle. They also serve yummy lotus root soup with the meal- I love the stuff. We almost always end up taking half of it home because there's so much.

Then there's also a place further down the street called Gina's Pizza. I think it might be bad that we've already found this place. They serve pizza, hamburgers, fries, spaghetti... and it all tastes pretty good too.

Pepperoni pizza... in China!

The only down side is that it costs more, and it takes them a lot longer to make the food. We're going to have to limit how much we eat here.

Finally, Christina introduced us to Taiwan Oolong Tea. They have super yummy smoothies!

Look! Finally a picture of me!

4 comments:

  1. Two things....1. You take GREAT pictures! I'm enjoying your narrative tremendously and the pictures are half of that! 2. Yay, finally a picture of you! Keep those coming too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Biana! I am trying :) And I will try to get more pictures of me- I've never really been into selfies so I have to really think about making sure I have pictures of myself :)

      Delete